It was great month for Kernl! We didn’t do much in the way of user-facing features, but we did accomplish a lot of great infrastructure work.
Features, Bugs, & Infrastructure
- Analytics Domain Search Speed Improvements – Prior to this work is could take up to 5 seconds to filter through the list of domains in Kernl Analytics. You can now search with sub-second response times due to a well placed index in Postgres.
- Daily Aggregates Cleanup – This task encompassed cleaning up the millions of rows of aggregate data that Kernl was hanging on to. We weren’t in jeopardy of running out of space, but a table of 300K rows is faster to query than a table of 20M rows.
- Analytics Domain List Clickable URLs – A customer suggested that the urls in the domain list should be clickable, so now they are!
- Marketing Site Scaled Images – Kernl now serves properly scaled images for the marketing site.
- GZIP Compression – All /static routes now serve resources using GZIP compression.
- MongoDB Upgrade – We’re now on Mongo 3.4 and the database is hosted in AWS via Compose.io
- Node.js Upgrade – Kernl now runs on Node.js 8.11.4. This upgrade addresses some security issues and bug fixes.