Kernl had another great month, with some bug fixes, blog entries, and a few new features.
Most importantly we’re announcing a limited beta of our new global update CDN! With our new global CDN powered by Vercel, every Kernl update request is cached at edge nodes around the world. This means <= 50ms response times for updates globally.
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to give it a try!
Features, Bugs, and Performance
- Docs – Added more descriptions to the “Understanding Graphs” portion of the Kernl documentation.
- Analytics Date Selection – The flow for selecting dates and products in analytics has changed. You can now only select dates in the range that the selected product has data.
- Examples – The Kernl API Examples repo has been updated to include a license management example.
- WHMCS License Validation – Kernl now supports WHMCS license validation for plugins and themes. This integration works similarly to our other 3rd party license validation integrations.
- Performance – We added a few database indexes to our load testing database. In situations where a lot of load tests existed performance was abysmal.
- Tutorial – On the main dashboard page of Kernl there is now video tutorials for getting started with plugin and/or theme updates.
- License Expiration Date Bug – There was a bug in Kernl license management where date editing didn’t work correctly when the saved date started with a leading zero.
- License Domain Restriction Bug – An edge case existed where license validation would fail with a server error if domain restrictions are set but no domain was passed in to be validated.
- Download Increment Bug – Incrementing download count was being handled in a very naive way. It was originally developed when Kernl wasn’t expected to reach the scale it has. This has been resolved by using the
$incoperator in MongoDB instead of a find -> increment -> upsert.
- Load Test Infrastructure Bar – The progress bar when you create a load test didn’t have a very good default state (it looked like nothing was happening). Now when below 3% complete, the bar will show 3% so you can actually see that things are progressing.
- Site Health Edit – You can now edit your site health entries.
- Envato License Validation Bug – Due to the deprecation of an API endpoint we were using, users of our Envato license validation need to regenerate their Envato access token that is saved with Kernl.
- Envato License Tied to ID – You can now verify that an Envato license that is being used is tied to a specific plugin or theme.